Until I discovered folding metal with the English Wheel covered with a rubber band, skinning the bonnet was taking me ages. I was getting frustrated and even questioning whether I’d even finish this project at all. Looking back, my initial… Read More »English Wheel With a Rubber Band
Making my first handmade bonnet hasn’t been easy. Everything has taken much longer than expected. In fact many things have taken numerous attempts. Even now, I look at it and see countless things that could do with tweaking or indeed… Read More »Making My First Handmade Bonnet
I've not finished the bonnet but a Morris Minor Roof came up cheap, so I had to have it. This Hot Rod was getting a donor roof.
I've started my version of a 1939 Chevy grille shell. This was my first real attempt at hammer and dolly panel beating. Hopefully it will be strong.
Making the bonnet is going to be a huge challenge, so I decided to mock it up. There was still plenty of fabrication to finish on the inner wings, but I was out of gas and it was a Sunday.… Read More »Mocking up the bonnet & Rookie Mistakes
I've started the inner wings. The first job was to get the flange onto which the wing mounts done.The U-shaped bonnet slam edge is still just propped into place. To clear my new thicker radiator and twin fans, the bonnet was extended forward about 2". The buck was re-proportioned several times, so this "stretch" might make the front look end too long.