Bodywork Wireframe Buck – half finished

Bodywork Wireframe Buck

With half the wireframe buck finished, it has become obvious that although it has its uses it is also very prone to flexing. It’s own weight is sufficient to bend and distort bars. It will therefore need a lot of extra bracing  before use.

Lifting the wireframe over the chassis has proved that virtually everything clears, there is plenty of head room and the overall shape is pretty good.

The need for an internal framework has never been more obvious. Before any external body can be started, I’ll need a solid structure. This structure will be folded from 18awg mild steel sheet. A framework of top hat section, cut with a dimple die cutter should add considerable strength to the bodywork. Once complete, I’ll have numerous datum points from where to create bodywork panels. The top hat structure will be spot welded to the bodywork skin.

Bodywork Wireframe Buck

Bodywork Wireframe Buck

Uniform Curves

When I originally made the wooden buck, I tried to make sure that wherever possible curves were keep the same along their entire length. Other curves were made as sweeping as possible.

Bodywork Wireframe Buck

What is now obvious is that this is almost a miniature Hot Rod. It stands 10″ lower than our family hatch at just 47″. Even with the large rear overhang it’s also quite short.

Styling cues were taken from 37 Fords and Chevy’s yet this one is only 2/3rds the size. 

1937 Ford Slantback Sedan

I reasonably happy with the lines and overall shape, plus the reduced dimensions make the 19″ wheels look more like 22’s. It’s definitely more Hot Rod than gentry style kit car.

Fabricated Hot Rod Door

Hot Rod Fabricated DoorMy fabricated Hot Rod door is not going to be easy. Especially for me. When your day to day job requires staring at a computer screen with the only manual task involving boiling a kettle, cutting up flat steel sheet and making it into a 1930's Hot Rod is somewhat ...

Hot Rod Hidden Hinges

Wireframe A pillar - Hidden HingeAs a datum point for the whole body, I'm starting with the A pillars and hidden hinges. Using the hinge pins as datums, I could construct the bulkhead section and windscreen surround. Many cars from the pre-war period, particularly those with Art Deco styling, have wonderful flowing body lines. Tremendous ...

New Workshop Required

Hot Rod WireframeIt's been a while since I posted. I knew I would loosing my workshop and with poor health, the car was abandoned. The old workshop is now empty and my wooden buck has been broken  up. The old cattle pens have been stripped and are scheduled for demolition. I ...

Bodywork Wire Frame Buck

Custom Body BuckHaving built one half of a wooden car body buck, I'm making a wire frame buck. The plan is to bend 5mm steel bar around my wooden buck. Every bar I bend around the buck touches with less than 1mm gap. I've made sure that no force is required to ...

Bodywork Wire Frame Buck

Bodywork Wire FrameWith the engine running, I've turned my attention back to the bodywork. I've started the wire frame for the bodywork buck. Although essentially this started as a Haynes Roadster, depending on my bodywork skills, will end up as a late 1930's style Hot Rod. There will be elements of 37 Ford, ...

Wooden Buck For 37 Ford Phantom Part 10

Not much apart from sawdust has come out of the workshop recently. When everything that needs doing involves generating sacks of filler and saw dust, my will to go out to a cold damp workshop isn't great. That's not to say I haven't done a thing, because since my last ...

Homemade Wooden Buck Part 2

The process of making the homemade wooden buck isn't going to be as straight forward as copying the CAD plans. Plus, my wood-working skills definitely need some polishing as a lot of this buck is PVC glue. It has demonstrated several things: Seeing a car take shape in three dimensions ...


With the arrival of a supercharged 4.0liter Jaguar AJ-V8, the chassis is obviously going to need attention. Also on the attention list, is the gearbox and possibly the differentials. According to Ford Germany, the standard MT75 gearbox is rated at 300Nm / 221lbs/ft torque. I can't find any figures for ...


Bodywork Wire Fame Buck
Bodywork Wire Frame Buck
Bodywork Wire Fame Buck
Translate »

Web Design by Go Web Solutions