Inner Wings

I’ve started the inner wings. The first job was to get the flange onto which the wing mounts done.

Inner Wing Flange

The U-shaped bonnet slam edge is still just propped into place. To clear my new thicker radiator and twin fans, the bonnet was extended forward about 2″. The buck was re-proportioned several times, so this “stretch” might make the front look end too long.

For now, I’ve used a ’37 Ford grille shape. This may change as this body is meant to look mid to late 1930’s but not like I’ve butchered a specific car.

Bullet Headlights

To help the wings and bonnet look shorter I’ve gone away from the built in 1937’esq headlamps. Partly because they looked as though they were pointing upwards, but mostly because they looked too modern.

I have gone over to some Lucas King of the Road 9″ bullet shaped from a 1937 Vauxhall 25 GY. The size and length of these lights may offset the length of the bonnet.

I’ve set them back a little to help the shape look a little more swept back and airstream.

Inner Wings Mounting Flange

To mount the front wings, I shaped the flange onto which they mount. This will form the top edge of the inner wings.  It was during this stages I confirmed my suspicions that I did needed to extend the wings.

Inner Wing Flange

Even with the “stretch”, as the wing curls down over the radiator it just clears the top corner of the radiator. You can also see that the edge of the ’37esq grille also gets pretty close. As the U shaped bonnet edge drops into the correct position, the height or lack of height of the bonnet sides become obvious.

The original plan was to add some bonnet side vents similar to the ’35 Ford. However, seeing things in steel has highlighted how narrow these vents will be at the front.

The ’37 Ford has the easiest grille shape, but the ’35 has shape I’d really like. Unfortunately, I don’t think my metalwork skills are up to that.

Louvred Inner Wing

With the flange in place, the next job was to make the louvred in-fill. Many years ago I savaged a couple of louvred panels from the local rubbish tip. I think they were the cover from an old factory air conditioning unit. The only issue was they were rather thin. I’m using 18awg, but these louvres were more like 24awg. For me, a gas welding novice, welding was a little tricky.

Louvres shout Hot Rod, the only thing is I didn’t want them on show, so hiding them under the wing was perfect.

I’d done some sums to calculate whether my radiator was big enough and I concluded with twin fans and plenty of airflow I’d be OK. I’m going to make an under-tray so air so air coming through the rad needs a smooth exit. Therefore, these louvres serve a vital role.

The front section of the inner wing needed a bulge to clear the radiator. Several cut out were needed to clear suspension mounts and to allow the front prop-shaft, steering rack and suspension push-rod to pass through.

Limitations of a Wireframe Or Wooden Buck

The more I build, the more it becomes blindingly obvious that wireframes and bucks are only to get the rough shape of a panel. However when it comes to the edge of a panel your on your own. A buck does not tell you how panels will screw together, what framework or reinforcement they need. You have to work out which panel will have the bolt and which will have a welded in nut.

I’ve made several bits only to realise I’ll have no access to get to where I wanted to put bolts.

So far, I’ve used an 8 x 4 ft sheet and only a 2″ windscreen surround would touch the buck. So far, I’ve taken  measurements from the buck but nothing has been panel beaten to fit it.