I haven’t been idle, I’ve been finishing off the front suspension. As with every car, what you do on one side, then has to get mirrored on the other side. It’s all a little cramped, but nothing can actually touch, so I’m reasonably pleased.
With anything suspension related, more time is spent measuring and clamping than is actually spent fabricating and welding. Even when 2 of everything are made at the same time, when it comes to assembly, the possibility of ending up with one side nothing like the other is an ever present threat. Some of these parts aren’t light, so mole grips alone aren’t man enough; tack welding and buckets of suspension jigs are needed. If you can picture a sea of angle iron jigs, clamps, verniers, height gauges and magnets; you are getting close to the scene. Once the shocks and bell cranks were in place, I then had to work out how to remove all of this nonsense, just like some annoying xmas puzzle. Clang clang…. up a bit…..maybe if I twist it????
Whilst finishing off the mounts and cantilever bell cranks, I also added in some extra cross bracing to the chassis. Because the shocks have been brought inboard, they now mount to areas of the chassis that a normal Haynes Roadster has limited bracing. The top tube on a standard Locost has virtually nothing to stop it from twisting. Sure, the standard chassis is braced for up and down flex, but nothing to stop these tubes twisting up like a corkscrew.
I haven’t finished adding triangulating braces, as at least two will wait until the front 4×4 prop-shaft and exhaust headers are in place. Another will wait until I have the correct pulley for the water pump as I previously swapped the standard SD1 water pump for a later 3.9 item. I can’t envisage any clearance issues, so I’ve cut all the extra braces ready to go in, but until I’ve finished a few things they wil just sit on the side.
Since the previous blog, I’ve been out and bought the correct size bolts for everything and I can now report the the front end runs nice and tight with no wobbles or twisting. Even with the few braces I have added, the flex has disappeared. OK, I’m not subjecting it to massive cornering loads, but everything is certainly moving in the right direction.