I'm using Golf MK5 hardware as my hidden hinges. I couldn't picture whether the door was going to clear the pillar, so I had to mock everything up first.
My fabricated Hot Rod door is not going to be easy. Considering I'm new to this metalwork lark, I'm actually finding it quite fun.
As a datum for the whole body, I'm starting with the A pillars and hidden hinges. With the hinge pins as datums, I'll make the bulkhead & windscreen surround.
I have used various brake components and I have no idea how good the brakes will work or feel once complete, so I'm using a Hella UP28 Electric Vacuum Pump.
I've been moving my car and all my tools. Now the bodywork can begin. The wooden buck has been scrapped so from now on I'll be using the wireframe
With half the wireframe buck finished, it has become obvious that although it has its uses it is also very prone to flexing. It’s own weight is sufficient to bend and distort bars. It will therefore need a lot of… Read MoreBodywork Wireframe Buck – half finished »
Having built one half of a wooden car body buck, I'm making a wire frame buck. The plan is to bend 5mm steel bar around my wooden buck. Every bar I bend around the buck touches with less than 1mm gap. I've made sure that no force is required to 'spring' the bars into place.
With the engine running, I've turned my attention back to the bodywork. I've started the wire frame for the bodywork buck. Although essentially this started as a Haynes Roadster, hopefully depending on my bodywork skills, will end up as a late 1930's style Hot Rod. In the past I mocked up several designs firstly in Photoshop, CAD and wood.
As many regular readers know, I'd had my Megasquirt MS1/Extra Rover V8 started within a couple turns of they crank. The next evening, with the wiring on the idle valve I tried again. Absolutely nothing. It didn't even try to start.