DIY Stainless Rover V8 Headers

Rover V8 Headers - Stainless

Rover V8 headers made from stainless aren’t easy to make DIY. I started them nearly a year ago, but they’re finally finished.

My previous attempt at making stainless headers

My first attempt used bits of hoover tube. They were a really pain in the rear to weld. One tube to another was not a problem. The tubes to the collectors was tricky but no matter how hard I tried, welding low grade 1.2mm thick tube to 12mm thick header plates is hard! Especially when you haven’t picked up a gas torch in 25 years.

The solution was to buy a length of 38mm x 2.5mm thick 304 stainless tube and bend it up on a borrowed pipe bender. As my welding skills slowly improved I could weld faster, meaning I could also move from a No3 to a No5 nozzle. The first header was still a little tricky, taking best part of a day. It gave me a thumping headache, but it was a vast improvement. A couple weeks later, the second, took just 2 hours and was almost easy. I used a No1 tip for tube to tube and a No5 for tube to header.

Pipe Bender

The trick was to get the header plate molten, whilst leaving the tubing on the bench nice and cool. It was a little tricky, keeping the torch on the header plate with one hand, bringing the tube into play with the other and holding the welding rod in my teeth but it seemed to do the trick. With a No5 tip the header plate was just molten, but the flame would only have to glance at the tube for the two to melt together. I had to weld fast.

The total bill for both Rover V8 headers came in at around £130. If I’d bought thicker 304 stainless tube in the first place and borrowed the bender early on, I could have made them for closer to £85.
Oh well…… getting back into gas welding was good, plus I still have plenty of tube left over for other projects. When you consider a custom made set would have set me back around £500, they’re still cheap.

Annoyingly, I was a little shocked to see the header plates bent during welding. If I’d have stood, swinging a sledge hammer for 30 mins, I couldn’t have bent them this much. A bit of skinny tube heat shrinking, had applied enough force to make them useless without correction.

The second header plate was barely bent, but the first had almost 5mm of end to end bend. I had to heat the header plate red hot, bolt on a 4ft long metal bar and wrench with all my body weight to correct them. I had to repeat this process many times before the bow disappeared. A light skim on the mill and all was good.

I tried mounting the headers in a large vice whilst welding, but it was too much of a heat sink and with the speed you have to weld, having them static was tricky.

Rover V8 Headers made from stainlessIt’s a shame these Rover V8 headers went a little grey (a weird pink in places), it would have been cool if they went that great blue and purple colour all over.

DIY Rover V8 headers – Top tips

  • Minimum of 2.5mm thick 304 stainless tube
  • Use Tig not Oxy/Acetylene to prevent distortion
  • Weld fast, so mount them on some kind of turntable
  • Make some kind of ultra solid jig that doesn’t sink the heat

 

Handmade Stainless Exhaust System

Handmade Stainless ExhaustOver a year ago, I was quoted almost £1400 for a custom handmade stainless exhaust system. I'd have to trailer the car to them and leave it for a week. Since then, although not much progress has been made, I've changed my requirements and added an extra pair of back boxes. ...

Megasquirt MS1/Extra Rover V8 - Troubles Starting

Broken Bosch Ignition Driver LegsAs many regular readers know, I'd had my Megasquirt MS1/Extra Rover V8 starting within a couple turns of they crank. So why the picture above? - Once you spot it, it's obvious! The next evening, with 2 wires on the idle valve reversed, I tried again. Absolutely nothing. It didn't ...

Rover V8 Engine Mounts

I was fed up with that old Rover V8 falling off its jacks, so I made up some engine mounts. One time, when the engine fell off its mounts it managed to drop right through the chassis rails in such a way that it managed to hit the floor. What ...

Rover V8 to MT75 Adaptor - part 4

This is an MT75 4x4 gearbox from a 2.0lt turbo Sierra Sapphire Cosworth. The bell-housing bolt pattern is much smaller than that of the Rover V8. Unfortunately, the bell-housing is not removable, so I am cutting it off with a hacksaw. It may seem a little Low-Tech and indeed there ...

Rover V8 Timing Chain Cover - Part2

Is this a Timing Cover Issue? or Is it a Front Diff Issue? It's definitely a space issue. After drawing up the standard Rover SD1 style timing cover housing, I found that the oil pump was trying to occupy the same space as the front prop shaft and Sierra Front ...

Rover V8 to MT75 Adaptor Plate - part2

Will the Borg Warner 35 Auto bellhousing mate to the MT75 manual? Can I cut it up to make a Rover V8 to MT75 adaptor plate? I was having one of those mental blind-spots. For some reason, because I was trying to mate the Sierra Cosworth MT75 manual gearbox to the ...

Rover V8 to MT75 Adaptor Plate

The goal is to mate the Rover V8 up to a Ford MT75 gearbox. Therefore I had 2 choices: Use an Rover V8 to MT75 adaptor plate Use a complete LT77 bell-housing and remove the integral MT75 bell-housing and weld on a mounting plate. Seeing as I could not find anyone ...

Sierra Front Propshaft

The 4x4 Ford Sierra Cosworth Front propshaft needs to be extended. Because of the 19” front wheels the front diff is mounted higher in the chassis. This means the propshaft now travels upwards towards the front of the car. If I angled the front diff down 1.5 degrees then I could gain ...

Translate »

Web Design by Go Web Solutions