A few minutes later……………
I’ve made a hole lotta mess!
The plan was to extend the arch of the front wings (as per previous blog). But things are always easier in my head than in reality.
The section I removed, once moved backward proved to have completely the wrong curve, however it would form a decent platform for me to build one up out of body filler. I mocked up the arch then started to bolt things together.
It’s not too clear to see in the above shot, but I took a springy 1m stainless steel rule and taped it to the wing to produce a smooth and natural arch. The next job was to fill the gaps with fresh MDF.
Again, it’s not too easy to see, but the top is like a 50 pence. It’s solid, but completely the wrong shape. At one point it needs the best part of 3/4″ of filler. Still, never mind, it will probably distort a lot less than the MDF in damp weather.
I’m getting there, but it is now obvious that the sides of the arch are very flat. It won’t take much material to be removed to cure this, but getting the arch right will be a little tricky.
The same applies to the sides of the car. There are several curves going on and over such a long area, I imagine skim after skim of filler will be applied to patches of the bodywork. I’m using a 420mm long sanding board that has a small amount of flex. I’m waiting on the delivery on some even longer 3M Durablock boards from the US (hopefully they’ll help). I’ve tried a soft foam rubber long board on the wings and I can say, the results were very good indeed.
The back bottom edge of the arch still needs extending and joining to the running boards, but I haven’t made up my mind on how exactly I’ll do this. The crease lines are all sharp at the moment, but that isn’t the intention. I just find it much easier to get everything pin sharp and ruler straight then run a peace of paper over them later to reduce and blend them. When you stand back to try and appreciate the curves, for me, sharp edges really help.
To aid the overall look the joint of the wing and the arch wing be at least 1.5″ further back but I will leave it until the windscreen is moved backwards too.
A standard 37wing joins the running-board at about 45° but I’ve found a phantom 37 with wings more like a 34 Ford. I’m still swinging towards the standard items but the 37 versions might work better once I move the screen back 6 “.
Modified ‘Phantom’ 37 wing.
Getting the curve right on the doors will be tricky, as on a real Ford they have quite some curve! The top part of the doors doesn’t have such a great curve, but the lower half really curves in. Notice how the bottom 12″‘s of the door dive inwards by around 5″. My bodywork is ‘sectioned’ so if I have 5″ of curve the body will look extremely ballooned. I’m thinking around 2.5″ is more appropriate.